My Blog List

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

To slow or NOT to slow ........

THAT is the question I put before you this day. Is it better to have slowed and obeyed, than not and get ticketed ? Of course I speak (er -- I mean type) of the posted speed limit in the vicinity of schools (though NOT universities, oddly enough). There are these black & white signs bearing the warning that your vehicle is about to enter The School Zone. Big flashing yellow lights accompany said warning along with a speed limit deemed acceptable for passage thru said zone.

I pass thru one EVERY day on the way to work. And EVERY day I abide by the posted speed limit with in that couple hundred yards or so. However I witness those who zip thru these zones as if those flashey lights & speed limit are for OTHERS and not THEM.

Where is the local constabulary, you ask (I could make the stereotypical snarky remark bout donuts & such, but won't) ? Sometimes "the boys in brown" are indeed on the spot, but their sightings are rarer than a truly natural blond over the age of 30. Still without DAILY presence, the offenders quickly revert to their "meant-for-YOU-and-NOT-me-nanner-nanner-nanner" ways.

And who's the loser in this macabre dance of compliance & disobedience (and NOT even civil -- flipping the bird is NOT an act of civility !) ? The observant one -- both of the speed limit & successfully dodging the "rabbit," of course. In other words, ME. I obey the flashy yellow lighted sign EVERY day & suffer the horns & rude gestures of my fellow stupid commuters.

All I can say to them is some day, soon hopefully, I'LL be the one with the evil grin on my face as I pass by YOU as you try to explain to the nice officer WHY you can't read, or if you CAN read, why you chose to ignore the flashy yellow lighted sign. MAY THERE BE A "BOY IN BROWN" IN YOUR NEAR FUTURE !!!

/soapbox -- take care .... stay kool .... be content MK

No comments: