My Blog List

Sunday, August 23, 2009

No I didn't fall off the face of the Earth

The rumors of my untimely demise have been greatly exaggerated. Or however the saying goes. Anyhoo, I'm still amongst the living albeit tired & S-O-R-E.

You see, it was an extremely harried week at work & we've been trying to get the garden prepared for a fall planting. This proved to be a lethal combination for this train wreck known as my body. I carry all my stress in my head & shoulders. I awoke Friday with such a screaming headache, I thought I had succumbed to that dreaded post-menopausal curse ...... the MIGRAINE. Thankfully I remembered the trigger points from when my Mom used to suffer & thankfully I presented none, save the excruciating pain & belief that my head would explode -- secretly hoping for it.

Nope, it was just plain ol stress. Stress is a sneaky bastage -- by the time you realize it has taken up residence, you're contemplating murder or at the very least decapitation ...... of your OWN head. Now those in the know, say that a certain amount of stress is necessary for our survival -- it fuels the flight or fight response which is what keeps us one step ahead of the forces that threaten to defeat us. All I know is that I'd gladly share some of MY stress cos I think I got the King's share !

Enter my angel .... of sorts. I say of sorts, cos she can bring me to the verge of tears with just a touch. No, no it's not that her touch is so tender, so soft, so lulling. No her touch reaches deep into the core and drags out the toxins along with the knots upon knots UPON knots, that I so carefully attempt to carry without self-destructing. Prolly NOT as excruciating as childbirth but sure as hell rivals a good Charley-horse ANY day of the week !

This soft spoken, beautiful person is like stress -- sneaky and unrelenting. She knows I have a high threshold for pain & dangles me on that precipice before bringing me back only to repeat it .......... many times more. Sometimes I can't tell whose more exhausted at the end of a session -- her from trying to will those knots out with her bare hands, or me from desperately running an uphill marathon to my happy place -- never seeming to reach it before the "assault" is over.

Now don't get me wrong -- I do THIS willingly. She can work miracles and I will continue to allow her carte blanc over my body -- it's an odd relationship, but it works. Only because this morning I can turn my head to both sides without a shaft of pain blinding me. And my shoulder is looser & more mobile.

So here's to the person I love to "hate." Certified Massage Therapists RULE !!!

No comments: